How to distinguish between 作る、創る and 造る
Hello everyone! In Japanese, there are many words with the same reading but their kanji are different. It is almost like homophones, because each kanji is suitable for certain situations. In this post, we will introduce to you the lesson: How to distinguish between 作る、創る and 造る.
All three words 作る, 創る and 造る are pronounced [つくる], and they all mean : to use strength and ability to create new things and new states, to combine different elements to create the new shape of something.
The objects of these three words are different:
– The objects of 作る are small tangible things, invisible things and abstract things. For example : 合鍵(あいかぎ)を作る – “to make duplicate key”, 料理を作る -“to make food”, 空気を作る – “to create the atmosphere”.
– 創る is used when creating something from nothing, regardless of it being visible or invisible. It is often used in arts sector. For example : You must have heard about 創刊 (launching (e.g. newspaper))? あれは全く新しい雑誌を「創った」ということなのです. It means that a completely new magazine was created.
– 造る is used when creating quite large tangible things. For example : When saying “to make a garden”, we have the phrase:「庭をつくる」- it can be replaced by「造園」. Similarly, when saying “to build a ship”, we can say「造船」instead of「船をつくる」. We also use 造る in manufacturing.
– 創る is not in the list of kanji that are often used. Therefore, 創る is not used in administrative documents. In those cases, 作る will be used instead of 創る.
– We have the words : 作画- drawing pictures. 作曲 – composition; and 作詞 – writing song lyrics. Thinking about the objects, we must use the verb 創る. Because of such circumstances, there are cases where there are changes in words and kanji : 作曲 ＝ 曲を創る
作る is used for small tangible things, invisible things and abstract things.
創る is used for things created from nothing, regardless of they are visible or invisible.
造る is used for quite large tangible things.
Above is : How to distinguish between 作る、創る and 造る. Learn other similar lessons at category: Japanese words by theme